Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Foodie Joce's Mixed Nut Brittle

So apparently my dad LOVES my brittle. So much so, that he said it's better than See's Candy's version.

Now ... I'm no candy maker. Honestly, I suck when it comes to working with sugar ... except with this brittle.

This recipe originated from my HFHM 276 class at CSULB. It was a basic recipe in our handbook, and I just tweaked it a bit (added more nuts, removed extra salt by using salted nuts, etc.) so it would fit what I wanted to do.

So far each time I've made it, I've received rave reviews. If you decide to make it, lemme know how it goes for you!

I made some today ... and I burned my left index finger in the process haha! So when you DO make brittle ... BE CAREFUL! Hot sugar (especially at 300+ degrees) can BURN!

-------


Nut Brittle
-----------

Ingredients:

1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups salted nuts (i.e., peanuts, cashews, macadamias, etc.)
1 tbsp. margarine
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Non-food hardware:
saucepan
baking sheet
candy thermometer
spoon
spatula
non-stick cooking spray

Procedure:

1. Grease a piece of heavy aluminum foil or a baking sheet. OR if you have a silicone mat, place that on top of a baking sheet.

2. Combine water, sugar, and corn syrup in a saucepan.

3. Clamp a candy thermometer to the pan so that the bulb is immersed in the mixture.

4. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.

5. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage, 234 degrees F (112 degrees C).

6. Stir in nuts and margarine.

7. Cook until mixture reaches 300 degrees F (149 degrees C), stirring constantly. Do not allow mixture to burn.

8. Remove pan from heat. Blend in vanilla.

9. Stir in baking soda thoroughly.

10. Pour into greased foil. Quickly pull to form a thin sheet (or use a spatula sprayed w/ non-stick spray to spread it around evenly).

11. Cool. Break into pieces.

12. ENJOY!

-------


My brittle cooling down on a Silpat.

-------


Enjoy y'all and keep on eating! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment